Did you know that the best time to service your air conditioner is when winter is in full swing? It’s because technicians are relatively free at this time, and are more than willing to quote lower rates for an air conditioner service.
Service or maintenance is inadvertently necessary as it’s only if you air conditioning unit is fully functional will it be able to serve you well during the hot summer months. Read on to find out some secrets to a comprehensive servicing of your AC system.
- The simple task of cleaning your filters goes a long way towards improving your cooling efficiency. Though you may not have used your AC system in winter, the filters still accumulate dust and get dirty. And if you haven’t replaced the filters recently, you may as well do it as it’s recommended to replace filters every six months.
- With the exterior condenser coils circulating inner hot air to the outside, it can get quickly blocked by dirt and debris. You may feel that you can remove any leaves and debris that may have gotten stuck in the fans. However, it’s not recommended as it can lead to damages and eventual repair or replacement. It’s instead better to call the experts to do a professional job.
- Another important secret of your air conditioner service routine is maintaining the coolant lines. It’s these coolant lines that carry the refrigerant to the evaporator, which is why they are well insulated. However wear and tear can lead to the insulation coming off, especially when it lies inactive in the winter months. The poor insulation of the coolant lines leads to heightened utility bills because of the amount of energy that’s lost. And all that energy goes to waste as your home isn’t even cooled well because of the poor insulation. All this can be avoided if you have professional AC technicians wrap the coolant lines with insulation wire in time to cool your home well in summer.
- Leaks not only waste lots of water but also lead to numerous household problems. This is because any prolonged leakages in walls or your home’s infrastructure weaken the infrastructure and also invites unnecessary problems like moulds, bacteria, and pests. The secret to avoiding these problems is to fix leaks when they are small, and before they grow into bigger problems. Your AC technician will be able to find out the cause of the leak, which may be a dirty filter, repair it and prevent future leaks.
- There is always the possibility of your coolant coils freezing up, especially in winters. The most common reason for its freezing is the loss of refrigerants in the AC system. This is why it’s important that you call your AC technicians at the first signs of the coils freezing as frozen coils will lead to the malfunctioning of the unit. Failure to do so will only lead to a further loss of the refrigerant, where you eventually end up with an ill-functioning AC system.
Now you know the secrets to a complete air conditioner service, it’s well worth spending the time and money servicing your AC unit!