Out of the various problems we face at home, one of the most common ones usually pertains to electricity. However, as a homeowner, you should never neglect them or try to fix them by yourself.
Studies show that every year, there are many cases of home electrical problems that are either largely sidelined or totally ignored. The eventual result is often fire and in some cases, deaths. This is why it is advisable you consult professional electricians in case you suspect there could be a fault in your home electrical system.
The following are some of these problems that warrant the attention of a residential electrician.
It is possible to experience instances when you feel a minor shock or tingle after plugging in an electrical appliance into the socket and turning it on. It’s even worse when this gets repeated over and over again, as it could be the first indication of a serious electrical problem. Some of the causes could be incorrect electrical wiring or a ground fault. As a responsible homeowner, you must ensure that the problem is attended to before it escalates into a full-blown disaster.
Problems Regarding Circuit Breakers
Circuit breakers are designed in such a way that when there is an overload in an electrical circuit, the risks involved can be minimized. They help to prevent electrical wires from getting overheated and as a result, fires can be avoided. If you notice that there is frequent tripping in certain circuit breakers, you need to be careful as that’s the worst warning signs ever. This could lead to a short circuit which accounts for many cases of home electrical fires. In such instances, it is best that you take the help of an expert electrician to take care of the problem.
The flickering light is a problem that could occur as a result of various problems with the wiring system. It could be a sign of a defective bulb or certain other deep-rooted problems within the bulb holding structure or the entire electrical wiring system leading up to the bulb holder. If the problem persists even after the replacement of the flickering bulb, then you can be sure the main system needs to be checked. Contact your residential electrician and have the problem addressed once and for all.
Burning Odor Or Electrical Sparks
If there is a burning odour emanating from your electrical wiring, switchboard or if you notice sparks coming out of them, you need to be on your guard. This could be the primary warning of a major electrical disaster waiting to strike. The problem here is that as a homeowner, you may never tell whether the burning is caused by your electrical appliances or the wiring system. Call an expert as soon as possible to establish where the fault is and repair them so you can get back to using your electricity without any worry of danger.
Electrical Outlets Not Working
It is possible that you might have electrical outlets and switches that are not working. They might also work intermittently. In either case, this is a warning sign not to be ignored. It could be the outlets have worn out as a result of use and overuse, or it could be a sign of a more serious fault in the entire system. As we have repeatedly mentioned here, only a qualified residential electrician would help determine where the problem is.
In conclusion, it is important to remember that electrical repairs are not to be attended to by the novice, inexperienced person you are. As a responsible homeowner, you should always have the contacts of a residential electrician handy so they can help you out in such cases.